"But he would feed you with the finest of the wheat,
and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.”
Psalm 81:16
A couple of weeks ago I was blessed to be able to spend some time with my grandchildren. I think of them so often. For example, today I was out walking the dog. We came across a little snake skin that I proceeded to pick up and bring inside. It occurred to me that often times I discover things along lifes path that I'd love to share. For three decades now Ive had the blessing of being able to share these little discoveries with my children. Nowadays they are mostly grown up and busy with lives of their own. So, naturally I think to myself, "I should share this with Adelina and Jensen!" Seeing as they live 500 miles away... I have found myself making little (sometimes not so little) care packages for them and sending my little discoveries through snail mail. It's not even close to the same as being there together and sharing life moment by moment like it was intended.... but.... it's better than nothing at all. Another way Ive found to share these special discoveries is to pack them up and save them until we go once a month for Michael's drill weekend. We are so blessed.... blessed beyond measure... that we are able to go once a month and visit them. I take full advantage of these visits and keep a spot in the house where I gather up things until we leave. Then, when the time comes for drill weekend, I pack up all my goodies and take em up with me. This past visit I took a bundle of wheat from the wheat fields surrounding our house in Monroe. There is no replacement for just being here... seeing the sunrise over the fields and cast a golden haze over the morning, watching the field roll with the summer breeze while you sit in our home, and smelling that sweet wheat aroma at night when we sit on our porch at sunset. I believe God put all of that there as a sort of therapy. It is a soothing sight, a relaxing environment, and a constant reminder of His provision. I marvel at how just being among his creation teaches me so much about Him and how nature reminds me of Him as He used it to teach us about Himself. So many scriptures come to mind as I look around me.
"So she kept close to the young women of Boaz,
gleaning until the end of the barley and wheat harvests.
And she lived with her mother-in-law."
Ruth 2:23
"Very truly I tell you,
unless a kernel of wheat
falls to the ground and dies,
it remains only a single seed.
But if it dies, it produces many seeds. ... "
John 12:24 |
"His winnowing fork is in his hand,
and he will clear his threshing floor,
gathering his wheat into the barn
and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire ..."
But I digress. Though I cannot walk through the yard with my grandchildren (as of now) that doesn't deter me from trying to connect and share with them. So... I packed up the little bundle of wheat and took it to them. I hope that by the time I see them next month, the wheat will be past the dough stage and be ready to thresh and grind. We could make some bread with it or something. I looked longingly at the mill stone lying at the foot of the pecan tree. Could I bring it to them and show them how that wheat was ground for so many years? Would Michael make fun of me for trying to lift it and put it in the back of my car? I forced myself to leave it there but still might go make a video of it :) Anyhoo.... I made this video here in the post to show them the field from which 'their' wheat bundle came. Hopefully they can sort of make sense of it and maybe, just maybe they can appreciate what I want so bad to share with them.... about wheat.... about life... and about God.
No comments:
Post a Comment